Monday, July 19, 2010

Beer, Belhaven and Baseball

We had a nice weekend close to home this time around, which was great after two busy weekends in a row. Friday night we met some friends at the Bulldog after work for the “uncasking” of a new beer by Mississippi’s Lazy Magnolia brewery. I’m a Miller Lite girl myself, so while I wasn’t really a fan of the single-batch Sweet Potato Cream Stout, it was still pretty cool to be able to taste a beer that will never be brewed again.

On Saturday, I went to a good, old-fashioned slumber party at my friend Katherine’s house in Belhaven. She’s leaving that beautiful old house for a new house in the suburbs, so we had to say goodbye in style. We ordered pizza from the Pizza Shack, had a few cold beverages and entertained ourselves with plenty of girl talk and one game of TriBond. It was great!

That house has been our favorite “Belhaven B&B” for the past several years. We’ve stayed many a night there and an occasional whole weekend, too. One summer there was even a fantastic baby pool set up in the back that we spent most of our Saturdays enjoying. Bye-bye, little house. We’ll miss you!

Sunday afternoon Derek and I headed to Smith-Wills Stadium to watch our friend Josh play baseball.

He plays semi-pro for the Hattiesburg Black Sox (I stole this pic from his FB page), and they were in the Mississippi Baseball Championships in Jackson this weekend. They lost Sunday’s game and ended up third overall in the state, but we had a lot of fun watching them play. They're a really good team, and baseball’s one sport I can actually follow!

We really enjoyed staying “home” this weekend – or let me rephrase since my mom says weekends like this don’t count as being spent at home… We really enjoyed staying close to home this weekend and having fun in the Big City. :)

No comments: