Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Dog's Purpose

Today we said goodbye to the sweetest mutt God ever put on this earth, Annie Bice. We got Annie from the Animal Shelter right before Christmas in 1997, my junior year of high school.

When we went to pick out a puppy, this little terrier mix (mixed with who in the world knows - I still think part wolf) was curled up beside a mama Dalmatian and her puppies. She was like little Orphan Annie, so she essentially named herself. Bless her heart.

My mom and dad called me "Sister" to her and she knew just who I was. She was a good girl. She was a such sweet girl and even in her older days she'd get so excited when "Sister" came into town for a visit. We had a special bond.

I think Annie helped my parents get through the empty nest syndrome when I started college, even though I was still in the same city, just not living at home. And then again when I moved away from Hattiesburg for my first job out of college and never came back. Maybe that was her purpose. If anyone has read "A Dog's Purpose" you know what I mean. She lived a good, long life and spent almost 14 years as the Bice family dog.

Please say a little prayer for my mom and dad. They're the ones who will miss her the most. Hopefully they find some peace soon. God bless sweet Annie Banannie. I'm sure she's fetching squeaky toys and tennis balls in heaven already.

2 comments:

heatherstockett said...

So sorry! What a sweet pup! It's so hard to lose a pet. I'm sure your parents will miss her. Keeping y'all in my thoughts and prayers.

Jules said...

oh, I'm so sorry! I will definitely keep you all, especially Uncle Rick & Aunt Beth, in my thoughts & prayers!