Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sibley's Birth Story

The original plan was for us to be second on the surgery schedule Friday morning. We would to arrive at the hospital at 5:30 to get prepped, then as soon as c-section #1 was finished, we'd be up about 8:30 or 9 that morning. Well, that was until the hospital called about 10:00 Thursday night as we were trying to make ourselves get some sleep to tell us that the first patient had delivered her baby, so we were being bumped up to the 7:30 a.m. surgery slot. That's when the nerves kicked in.

After virtually no sleep at all, we arrived at River Oaks bright and early Friday morning, we filled out our paperwork, got settled into a room, and the nurse immediately started the pre-op prep work. I was a nervous wreck, but before I knew it it was time to go! These doctors were READY to get this done. We might have even been a few minutes ahead of schedule for all I know!

The next 45 or so minutes were a bit of a nervous blur, but I remember clearly that at 7:47 a.m., my beautiful baby girl was brought into this world. As soon as she came out, the surgical team told us she was perfect and beautiful, then Dr. Moses held her up over the curtain for us to see. I saw her, she let out a big cry, and I immediately started crying tears of relief, elation, and absolute amazement.

As it turns out, Sibley was waaay up high nestled under my ribs with the cord wrapped around her neck. It took Dr. Moses and two other members of the surgical team working together to pull her out. She wasn't as big as predicted, but the c-section ended up being a blessing for a safe delivery.

Once they weighed her and cleaned her up, Derek brought her over to me for me to give her a kiss and take a few pics before bringing her back to the room to meet family while they wrapped up my surgery.

It all went by SO INCREDIBLY FAST. Before I knew it, I was back in the recovery room with my new little family and my big extended family. And then the love fest over our new addition began... :)

2 comments:

Mrs. Yardbird said...

So happy for ya'll!! Congrats!!

Mrs. Yardbird said...

So happy for ya'll! Congrats!! :)