Oh, the dreaded garage sale... It’s been a few years since we had one of these, and I must say that it’s no easier the second time around. We spent a solid four hours Friday night pricing everything and getting the carport ready with tables, places to hang clothes, etc., which is exhausting by itself. Then about five hours later, the alarm clock went off bright and early signaling our 4:40 a.m. wake-up call.I stumbled into the shower, made some coffee and preheated the oven for some cinnamon rolls. Then we immediately started bringing everything outside into the carport. Heavy lifting is not fun before daylight, I can assure you. While we didn’t have too many big items this time (mainly some artwork, a chair and ottoman, random odds and ends) we had enough clothes to fill the entire Salvation Army headquarters. Plus, our friend Claire had a lot of clothes to donate, so needless to say, we had a lot of clothes. A LOT.
Our first customer showed up a little after 6, and we had about eight or nine more total the rest of the morning. We did pretty well though, I think, and ended up making about $120. The best part was just getting rid of all that stuff, the majority of which we (I) couldn’t bear to part with for the last garage sale before we left Vicksburg. It’s been taking up precious closet space ever since.
We passed the time drinking a few mimosas, which is a garage sale must-have. It makes the morning a little more pleasant, and it makes all the junk a little easier to sell because it’s easier to strike up conversations with strangers. We also played a little dress-up, which was totally entertaining. My favorite item of the day was Claire’s “Oregon Trail” denim jacket that she won in a raffle. I didn't get a good photo of it, but it looks pretty close to this...
I can't believe it didn't sell. Wouldn't you have bought that for $1?After our long morning of hard work, we were pretty worthless for the rest of the day. The Salvation Army truck came to pick up what didn’t sell, and we took a nap. That’s about as exciting as it gets. We agreed that it will be a looooong time before we have another one of those fun events. It’s just entirely too much fun to have in one weekend. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment