Last night I went to see Willie Nelson at the Jackson Convention Complex with my mom and my grandmother... talk about an EPIC girls' night out!Granny is the most dedicated, loyal Willie fan I've ever met. I clearly remember dancing around in our nightgowns to "On the Road Again" in her living room. And of course we always listen to Willie's Christmas albums (and Elvis, too) when it's time to open presents at Granny's house on Christmas Eve.
She first saw Willie in Jackson in the mid-1970s. And last night was her FIFTH time to see him (that's actually one more time than I've seen both Dave Matthews and Widespread Panic, my only two repeat performance bands). My mom saw him once years ago, and I saw him two summers ago at The Wharf in Orange Beach as part of Derek's birthday weekend.
Our tickets were on the 16th row, which was pretty close to begin with, but my mom sweet-talked a JPD officer into letting us move up to empty seats in the third row so Granny could see Willie in all his braided, bandana-wearing glory.
It was awesome. She had the time of her life and got a little emotional here and there, too. I think his music brings back so many memories for her from throughout the years. I'm sure he heard every "Woo Hoo!" she yelled and even when she kept yelling, "Come on, Willie! Play my song!" She was in rare form and my mom and I enjoyed every single minute of it.
It was just an incredible memory for the three of us and a once in a lifetime opportunity, for sure.So, Willie, all the girls you've loved before ain't got nothin on my Granny... thanks for a great night.
3 comments:
Wonderful Night!!
How cool! What an awesome night for all of you!
I can easily picture the three of you....brings a smile to my face. So cool that you got to do that together!
Post a Comment