Thursday, January 5, 2012

Epic Kitchen Fail

Well, yesterday was just a bad day overall. We had no water at work (meaning no bathrooms, yet they were kind enough to bring in porta-potties), I was just frustrated at everything, and I really failed at dinner.

I made jambalaya, and had just put in the sausage and chicken in with the rice when I put the top on to let it simmer for a while. I used a lid that was slightly too small for the pot and it suctioned shut. The lid would NOT budge. At all.

I tried with all my might. Derek tried. We picked up the whole pot by the lid handle, and the thing was absolutely not moving in the slightest.

After about half an hour of this, we finally gave up and picked up Subway. I tried cooling it in the fridge, putting it in an ice bath, running hot water over the top, everything...

Finally today during my lunch break I reheated the whole pot on the stove and VOILA! It came right off like it was never stuck to begin with. I have now learned yet another valuable kitchen lesson.

I've made some dumb mistakes in my post-college/newlywed kitchen years, and this one probably ranks right up there. But it still doesn't beat when I baked a casserole for an hour with saran wrap still on top of the casserole dish.

Yep... THAT, friends, was an epic kitchen fail. This pot/lid incident? Just a bad end to my bad Wednesday.

The good news is it looks like we'll be having jambalaya tonight that will probably be even tastier now that it's literally had its flavors sealed in for 24 hours.

No comments: