Monday, July 23, 2012

Bice Visit and Gibbes Grocery

We had a really wonderful weekend. It started Friday with a quick trip to Hattiesburg after work to catch up with my cousins and aunt and uncle who were in town from Oklahoma to visit Grandma. It wasn't the whole Bice crew (we were missing a few cousins and some spouses), but some is better than none!

We went to dinner at Rocket City Diner, where I spent many a fun night back in the '80s and '90s. It reopened last year in a new location, but the food was just as great as I remembered it. I think I was more excited than the kids were (which is why we went to begin with), but I'm not ashamed. We had a good time. :)
On Saturday we had a nice visit with Grandma, then Granny and Pap, before heading back to Jackson.
Saturday night was a very special treat. As you know from my last post, our friends Drew and Kristin have had a petty rough week. Yesterday was Kristin's birthday, so we went out to dinner Saturday night to celebrate. We took a mini road trip to Gibbes Grocery in Learned, Miss. It's about half an hour away (when you don't get lost). It's an old country store that serves some delicious steaks, lamb chops, and seafood on the weekend. The tables are set up family style, and it's just a really cool place. Dinner was delish and the company even better! 

We had SUCH a great time and shared a lot of laughs, which they definitely needed after last week. Drew's mom continues to make progress every day, but she still has a long way to go. Please keep them in your prayers. It's been tough. So glad we were able to help them take a break from it all and celebrate Kristin's big 2-9. We love these two. :)
We didn't do too much on Sunday except cook up some homemade shrimp and grits and white chocolate bread pudding. Derek and I cooked as a team like we were on Iron Chef and really enjoyed ourselves!

Some weekends are just more enjoyable than others, for no particular reason. This weekend we were able to spend some quality time with people we love, and we just enjoyed every minute of it. Life is good.

No comments: