Monday, July 9, 2012

Cheers

"Where everybody knows your name... duh duh duh duh duh..." Well, maybe not everybody, but at least a couple of the bartenders and a few friends and neighbors.

There's a little bar just a few blocks away that has become "our" bar in recent years. It's pretty much a dive, but it's a cozy little place where there's almost always a seat or two available, plenty of games to play like shuffleboard or bowling, and CHEAP pitchers of beer when you're extra thirsty after a rough day at the office.

Fun memories at this place for us have included spending a Thanksgiving night in T-shirts hanging with our neighbors, winning the best couple's costume contest for Halloween (Ringo and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds), watching the monsoon rain come down Labor Day weekend last year while playing a "rainy day" mix on the jukebox, and many a happy hour beverage with my husband to just talk about work besides the basic "how was your day" conversation.

"Our" bar closed Saturday night. They're changing it into some sort of seafood/tiki restaurant and bar. Change is good, right? And a renovation was definitely needed for this place sometime in the near future.

We went Friday night to bid farewell, and it really is bittersweet. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I just think it's kind of sad when a place where you have memories just isn't there anymore. Like the Mugshots in Hattiesburg that burned down last year. That was where Derek and I shared our first kiss. (Ha, classy, I know...)

Anyways, I'm rambling like I've had one too many $6 pitchers... In closing, FAREWELL and thanks for the memories. What stories those walls would tell if they could talk!

No comments: