This weekend my parents and I drove to Decatur, Alabama, to go visit my grandma. She moved into an independent living facility there in December, and this was my first time to go see where she lives. It's not that we haven't TRIED to make the trip... it's actually been canceled twice before (once for snow here in January and once for a nasty case of bronchitis Grandma came down with in March.) It's a five-hour drive, which means it's almost more time spent in the car than actually there for the visit on a regular weekend like this one. But it was such a nice visit, and it was so good to see Grandma.
My grandpa passed away last May, and it was very hard to watch Grandma try to put closure on it. I think the only way she was finally somewhat able to do so was to move to Decatur. She and Grandpa grew up there, only houses away from each other. They had talked in recent years of moving back, but then Grandpa got sick, so they stayed in Hattiesburg. But most all of their family (siblings, at least) are there, so it was a natural next step for Grandma to make on her own.
My grandpa passed away last May, and it was very hard to watch Grandma try to put closure on it. I think the only way she was finally somewhat able to do so was to move to Decatur. She and Grandpa grew up there, only houses away from each other. They had talked in recent years of moving back, but then Grandpa got sick, so they stayed in Hattiesburg. But most all of their family (siblings, at least) are there, so it was a natural next step for Grandma to make on her own.
Her apartment is so cozy, and she really seems to be happy there. She looks great, walks almost a mile a day and is enjoying spending time with her sisters. It's hard having her that far away now, but it's good for her, I think. Hattiesburg just has too many sad memories for her right now. I have no doubt she'll come back for a visit one day, maybe just not anytime soon.
While we were in Decatur, she wanted us to visit with all the family there - her sisters Bet and Carol (who both have also lost their husbands in the past couple of years) and Grandpa's sister, Addie, and her husband, Raymond. It was good to see them all, even if the last time most of them saw me was either at the funeral or when I was 10. I used to make that trip with Grandma and Grandpa every summer when I was young, and being back there this weekend was like déjà vu.
It was hard to say goodbye last night when we left her apartment, but I know we'll make the trip again soon. She's a strong woman and a force to be reckoned with when she makes up her mind. I've been very proud of her this past year and can only hope some of that strength and courage is in my genes, too. :)
3 comments:
couldn't help but think of my sweet grandmother. your grandmother's strength reminds me of mine.
p.s.- what is up with drew's blog? and kristin doesn't ever write!!
hey beanie....
your grandma looks GREAT...
what a good picture of the 3 generations !!!!
glad you guys finally made it - now Greg and I need to get over there.....I wish it was only 5 hours for us too! Oh well, at least she made it here to visit.....that sweet lady has had more pictures taken of her the past month! You & Uncle Rick look great - hope you & D and your 'rents are doing great - tell them all hello from us!!
Post a Comment