
I just got back from voting a little while ago. We actually got an hour of paid leave to go vote today. I guess that’s a benefit of working for the state! Amazingly, I was in and out of there in less than 10 minutes, despite all the horror stories I’ve heard all morning. The only hiccup I had was the little old lady manning the registration table who tried to let me vote as “GRAY, ELLEN A.” Poor lady… she couldn’t hear or spell apparently. Well, lucky for Ms. Ellen A. Gray, I saw her mistake and corrected it before she could do any permanent damage. That’s precisely why you should HAVE to show a photo I.D. before you can vote. I can’t believe you can just tell them your name – or anybody’s name for that matter – and cast your one and only vote.
The picture above is from a co-worker’s precinct in Rankin County at 6:45 this morning. The sad thing is, EVERY election should bring this many people to the polls. In this election, we’ll make history either way, but you shouldn’t just wait for a historic election to vote. It’s a privilege that we should never take for granted. As for the results this time around, I’ve never been one to put a sign in my yard or a bumper sticker on my car. To each their own when it comes to politics and religion… but since this is my blog, I will say I hope we wake up tomorrow with a war veteran and a hockey mom on their way to D.C.
I’m off my soapbox now. My only complaint this election day is that my precinct had apparently run out of the free-Chik-Fil-A-sandwich-for-casting-your-ballot coupons. Oh, well… maybe next time. Happy voting! :)
The picture above is from a co-worker’s precinct in Rankin County at 6:45 this morning. The sad thing is, EVERY election should bring this many people to the polls. In this election, we’ll make history either way, but you shouldn’t just wait for a historic election to vote. It’s a privilege that we should never take for granted. As for the results this time around, I’ve never been one to put a sign in my yard or a bumper sticker on my car. To each their own when it comes to politics and religion… but since this is my blog, I will say I hope we wake up tomorrow with a war veteran and a hockey mom on their way to D.C.
I’m off my soapbox now. My only complaint this election day is that my precinct had apparently run out of the free-Chik-Fil-A-sandwich-for-casting-your-ballot coupons. Oh, well… maybe next time. Happy voting! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment