Where to start? I am absolutely heartbroken and can feel it physically for myself, for Derek, for my niece, for our future children, for all the Greys and all the Turners, and for all others who knew and loved this wonderful woman. Many wives don’t get along with their mothers-in-law. I didn’t have that problem. I was so extremely lucky to have the perfect mother-in-law. If there was a fault to be found, it would only be that she loved us all too much.
We laid Candee’s memory to rest at Eagle Lake on Thursday. It was her favorite place on earth, and she nicknamed it Firefly Hill. It was amazing how the name never really caught on until we were up there last week and saw an unbelievable number of fireflies floating around. They were everywhere, and I’d like to think it was her spirit letting us know she was happy now and would always be there.
I’m sad for my children that they will never know their Grandee. They’ll only hear stories and see pictures, and we’ll try to do her justice. I’m sad for Ryan Hadley, that even though she’s two, she likely won’t remember her.
I’m happy that we had a great family vacation to Dauphin Island only weeks ago. It was very special, and I don’t think any of us would have traded it for the world. I’m happy that she ended every conversation with, “I love you.” There was never a doubt. I’m happy that I knew her for six wonderful years. It just wasn’t long enough.
Like Uncle Rusty said, I’m looking forward to the day when the mention of her brings a smile to my face rather than a tear to my eye. That day will come.
I think I speak for everyone when I say thank you for your thoughts, prayers and kindness this past week as we trudge through this. We’ve felt the support more than you’ll ever know. It’s been overwhelming. We have wonderful extended family and friends, and we love you all.
So, Candee, may you rest in peace on your Firefly Hill. We know it’s where you want to be.
I wanted to end with this special tribute from Yore Country Store on the way to the lake house. I can see her smiling and clapping with joy as she always did just reading it. She was a special lady.
6 comments:
That was absolutely beautiful. I am so sorry for your loss and there aren't enough words to express. She was a wonderful woman.
Sincerely,
Gretchen
She would be so proud, Elizabeth. Such beautiful, heartfelt words. Thank you for sharing them with them with the rest of us who loved her dearly.
Bice, what you wrote was inspiring and beautiful! I know that she is smiling down on you as a wonderful daughter-n-law. Treasure the moments and live them forever. That smile will be there soon. Love, Danos
Lizzie, that was amazing. You are so right in everything that you said. What a great day it was Thursday to see the smiles on everyone's faces when we were telling stories. She will always be remembered. Thanks for sharing.
Obviously, you can tell I had two little ones hanging on my leg as I was typing my message earlier. Hopefully...you understood what I was trying to say. "thanks for sharing them with the rest of us..."
I am sorry. I am praying for yall.
Post a Comment