Thursday, October 15, 2009

Fun at the Fair

Last night Derek and I headed downtown for a sort of “date night” at the 150th Mississippi State Fair. We didn’t go last year, so we’re averaging an every-other-year venture. Even so, it’s a fun experience no matter how old you get.

Everyone likes the fair for different reasons… some like the rides, some like the food, some like the sights, sounds and smells while others like to people-watch. The fair is 10 times better for people-watching than even the French Quarter ever thought about being in my opinion, and that’s saying A LOT. I mean, you see all types of people at the fair. It would be a good sociology project, I think. It’s definitely a nondiscriminatory event. I think some families totally save up for months to go to the fair, and rightfully so! For two of us to go for two hours we spent almost $50. Here’s the breakdown…

$5 for parking
$10 for admission
$6 for chicken on a stick
$5 for a footlong corndog
$8 for two ice cold beers
$4 for a fried Twinkie
$4 for a pineapple whip
$4 for ride tickets

Two hours later, our bellies were full of fried goodness, my head was spinning from people-watching overload, and Derek was dizzy from the one ride he rode, so we headed home.

The fair is a one-of-a-kind event, and I think it’s a great tradition, especially now that we live in the “big city.” We’ll probably make our way back down there in October 2011.

A fair adventure every other year works out well for us, I think. That way it’s only like dropping $25 on fair fun a year instead of $50. Although once we add munchkins to the mix (especially based on all the "Mama, please!!" moments I saw last night) we may need to start a "FAIR FUNds" piggy bank... :)

2 comments:

Josh and Meredith Jordan said...

I sort of thought I was a fair food connoiseur, but what is a Pineapple Whip?? And, no taffy?!?! Did you at least get your biscuit??

Elizabeth said...

Haha! Yes, definitely got honey biscuits, I just didn't count them since they were free. And no taffy! Got a big box last year and I swear we had it until May... Pineapple Whip is like an ice cream cone of sorts. You should go try it!