Tuesday, August 12, 2008

This Old House

It seems like lately we’ve had to spend money right and left on this house of ours. Well, the bathroom re-do was just something we wanted to do, but since then we’ve had to get one of our glass panes in our door replaced (that was our fault – not the house’s. We were locked out and figured that would be the easiest thing to fix after the fact. We were wrong and learned our lesson), and just today we had an electrician come and replace the breaker that runs the dryer in our laundry room. It’s been weak for a while and will trip every now and then, but Sunday when it tripped, Derek tried to flip it back on and it sparked. Not a good thing…

The electrician actually laughed at how old our breaker box was. But, much like the bathrooms, it’s original to the house circa 1950ish. Trust us, we know it’s old. Nevertheless, 20 minutes and $100 later, the guy was done and the dryer is working again.

Geez… if it’s not one thing, it’s another. That’s just the price you pay in an old house. I still wouldn’t trade it for the world though. Don’t get me wrong, new houses are wonderful, and everyone has their preferences. New houses are usually easier to maintain, but for me, I just love the idea of a house having a history. Plenty of memories have been made in that house by people long before us, and I just think it makes the house smile.

I laugh at my mom when she says things and places have “good energy,” but there’s just something about older houses that I’m drawn to. Maybe it’s the fact that by living in one, you’re taking a thing of the past and adapting it to your modern needs while still enjoying its character, or maybe it’s the idea that these walls have seen families through happy and sad times for many, many years. Whatever it is, it’s special. And if only these walls could talk… :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! I saw your page on Sara's page! I'm new to this whole blogging world, but finally gave in :) It took a while to get me page going...now hopefully I can actually remember to blog! HA! And I feel your "pain" about your "old house" blog!! We just remodeled our home that was built in 1930! It was a huge pain in the rear but well worth it! Good luck on your end!! Hailey