Saturday, September 6, 2008

A little bit of normalcy

Pardon my absence, but this past week has been absolutely crazy at work with Hurricane Gustav. We were working 12-hour days almost all week, and it has totally worn me out. I was lucky enough to take off yesterday and enjoy a long weekend, which has been so nice. I feel like I'm morphing back into a normal person. The bad news is that it seems to be somewhat short-lived with Ike heading our way towards the end of next week. Ugh...

I hate hurricanes. I don't know anybody who enjoys them, but with my job now, a pending storm means emergency operations at work so that we can make sure people know where to go for shelter, what to do if they lose power (food and water-wise) and what health issues to take into consideration when it's time to clean up after the storm. It's really the same messages over and over again, but emergency operation days mean LONG hours, which no one looks forward to.

Fingers crossed Ike will wear itself out before it gets into the Gulf, at least that's what I'm hoping. We'll just have to wait and see, but I sincerely hope the storms that are on the radar right now are the only ones we'll have to deal with this season. It makes for a long September, that's for sure.

Because of Gustav, our Destin family vacay was cancelled. It wasn't looking too good for the weather down there, and I wasn't even able to get off work until yesterday. I'm a little sad about it considering I could be sitting on the beach right now with a cold beer soaking up some sun, but I guess there's always next year.

We're enjoying our long weekend at home for now, just doing some things around the house and getting some rest. Although it would be a lot more enjoyable if the sun would come out! It's been so long that I've forgotten what the sun even looks like.

So here's hoping we all have a not-too-worrisome next few days on hurricane watch and that Big Bad Ike doesn't beat us up too bad down here. I'm just focusing on the power of positive thinking! :)

1 comment:

Lauren Danos Manuel said...

Hey hunny, so i just learned how to find peoples comments on my blog. i am sorry for the delay. i stole the idea from hailey
http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/backgrounds.php?cat=27
this is the website - im addicted.

glad to see you are doing well.
love danos.