I finally broke down and went to the doctor's office after work yesterday to try to get rid of this cold I've had for going on a month now. I was in and out of there in an hour, complete with my valuable three minutes with the actual doctor, and you know how much I had to pay for a simple, stupid office visit? Eighty dollars! That was honestly just for the basic visit... no tests, no shots, nothing else. RIDICULOUS. Apparently with my insurance you have to meet a $500 deductible for medical services regardless. Even for a trip to the regular after-hours clinic!
Here I was thinking that working for the state had such great insurance benefits, but really it's only "great" if you have some major catastrophic issue or surgery or have a baby! It doesn't help the normal people who just need to see a doctor to get some antibiotics and some cough medicine to get rid of this crud!!!!! SO frustrating.... Oh, and I forgot that since I AM a state employee, I did get a discount. It knocked off a whopping $17 off my total charges. Amazing.
I know I should be grateful that my job provides insurance coverage in this day and age, but I can't help but get frustrated and totally understand why people just don't go to the doctor. So my responsible decision to actually see a doctor and get some non-over-the-counter medicine to get rid of a basic sinus infection turned into a $160 investment. Who can afford that?!
I'm off my soap box now, but I just had to share my frustrations. Health care is just too expensive. Period. I'll try my best to stick to Nyquil and Sudafed next time. Geez...
He Wants to Rip Them Off
-
Sweet girls at church....
Bitty loves golf and asked me to tag along while he played a few holes the
other day.
Another camp....
After many months and a lo...
4 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment