Thursday, December 11, 2008

Winter Wonderland (for a few hours)

It snowed in Mississippi today! This is a special occasion... one that happens once in every few years but NEVER in December, so it might as well be a White Christmas for us, even if it's still 13 days away. It didn't really start coming down thick until about 9:30 this morning here. And the sad part is it stopped about 11 and now has turned to slush. But just about all schools and workplaces (including mine - I'm shocked) closed this afternoon because of the likelihood of ice on the roads by 5. So it's kind of a snow day for us! I'll take a free couple of hours any time I can get it! And, again to my amazement, my work isn't opening until 10:30 tomorrow morning, so the shock continues.

Mississippi as a whole just shuts down in the snow, but only because we really don't know how to drive in it. To be honest, I don't even think we have the trucks or equipment to sand the roads, so we just have to wait it out until the ice melts. A little backwards, yes, but whatever. It just happens so infrequently that it causes everybody to freak out a little. We had a few flurries a couple of times last January, and before that I think it was spring break one year in high school that it snowed. Crazy...

Unfortunately our plans for dinner and Christmas lights in Canton with Drew and Kristin tonight might be cancelled because of the weather, but we can always reschedule. It's a great afternoon to curl up by the fire. I might even break my not-before-5 rule and have a glass of wine.

I posted a pic of Bentley playing in what's left of the snow in the backyard. He's in doggie heaven right now slipping and sliding all over the place. Bless his heart. He's so sheltered. :)

1 comment:

Jules said...

wow - it hasn't even snowed here yet! nothing shuts down here unless the road are HORRIBLE and frozen or unless an ice storm has knocked out power....we may get our first ice storm next week....oh joy