Thursday, May 21, 2009

I Heart Show Choir

Please tell me someone else watched “GLEE” the other night on Fox after Idol. I can’t remember laughing out loud so much at a sitcom in a very long time. I guess it takes someone who understands all the true glitter and dazzle of show choir to fully appreciate it. :)

Our high school show choir, Panache, was all-female, so we didn’t have anyone even close to Lance Bass or Justin Timberlake in our group. Coming from a high school that didn’t have a budget for musicals or big theater productions in general, show choir seemed like the next best thing.

I mean, who doesn’t want to learn harmony and choreography to “Hakuna Matata” or (because it was the President Clinton era) “Don’t Stop Thinking About Tomorrow”? And then there was the big hair and the pretty, sequined dresses. Ours were blue, and I wanted to wear it to prom. It was that pretty.

My junior year I was named dance captain AND I made All-State Show Choir. I was in the big time. I got to miss a day of school to go learn “Footloose” and that ballad from “Rent” to sing on stage at USM’s Bennett Auditorium with a bunch of Soundsations and Attache members. My hair had to be even bigger for that performance. I was on the front row.

So, to the producers of “GLEE,” in the opinion of this girl and many others who spent countless hours perfecting the show choir posture, head tilt and singing smile, you hit the nail on the head. I will be watching.

No comments: