They say some of the biggest stress factors in life are getting a new job, moving to a new city and losing a loved one. Lucky us, we experienced all three within the first 14 months of marriage.
This time two years ago we were in the midst of a pretty hectic time in our lives. We had just celebrated our first wedding anniversary in March, and I had started my new job the very next day in Jackson, so I was on the road for 90 minutes a day driving back and forth from Vicksburg.
We put our house on the market the Monday following Easter Sunday after hosting a wedding shower at our house that Saturday night. It was the same year most of our friends were getting married – four couples in a two-month period. Every weekend was full. We were exhausted from staying on-go 24/7 and trying to sell the house. We were stressed.
When mid-May came, we had just celebrated Katie and Neil’s wedding and were getting ready for Maggie and Blake’s wedding on the 19th when my grandfather passed away. He had been sick for a while, and we knew it was coming, but that never changes the pain. He was my first grandparent to lose.
He was the sweetest man you would ever meet… full of life, full of charm. He was very charismatic, and his laugh was contagious. He always got emotional at birthday cards, and he could grow some mean tomatoes.
I was driving back to Vicksburg that Thursday after work when my mom called to tell me he has passed away. I cried the entire way home and then cried some more. Some friends came over to have some drinks and hug me while I cried even more. Then we got another phone call… we had an offer on our house. It was a glimmer of light on this very dark night.
We spent nearly the entire drive to Hattiesburg that next day talking back and forth with the realtor until we finally were happy with the offer. Our house was sold. Grandpa made it happen for us.
On Monday we stopped in Jackson to look at houses on our way home from the funeral. We fell in love with this charming little ranch-style house that was painted Mint Julep green with hurricane shutters. We made an offer, and by the time we made it home from Vicksburg the offer was accepted. We bought a house. Grandpa made it happen for us.
I say all this to say that I do believe there are guardian angels up above who watch over you, and he was one of those. Just when we were at out wit’s end, he made things a little easier for us.
Thanks, Grandpa. I won’t ever forget that, and I miss you very much. You’re a true angel.
He Wants to Rip Them Off
-
Sweet girls at church....
Bitty loves golf and asked me to tag along while he played a few holes the
other day.
Another camp....
After many months and a lo...
4 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment