Friday, September 24, 2010

Lights, Camera, ACTION!

Yesterday was our big filming day for "The Help." We reported to the church right next to the set bright (well, actually, not so bright) and early at 4:30 a.m. Our alarm clock actually went off at 3:15 a.m. I think that's a first. Like Derek said, I'm not quite sure if that's classified as a really early morning or a really late night.

But anyways, so we check in at 4:30 a.m. with curlers in my hair. We go straight to wardrobe to get our costumes they picked out for us and then go get changed. Derek went one way, and I went the other, and this was one of the few times I saw him for the rest of the day. Once he was ready and had gone through hair and makeup, he was taken to the set to start filming the first few scenes of the day on North State Street in Fondren. At this point, it was probably about 7:00, and I was still waiting in line for hair and makeup.

Derek played the part of a "Jacksonite" buying a car from a used car salesman at Fondren Family Used Cars, seen above. In his scene, he was talking with the salesman about the car when Emma Stone, who plays "Skeeter", drives up in her convertible.

They filmed that one scene about 10 times. He also was in another street shot where he walked across the street and his reflection was filmed in the window of a passing car. Pretty cool, huh?

Unfortunately, since we were separated for most of the day, I never had the opportunity to get a picture of Derek is his costume, but I did find a shot of him on the Jackson Free Press website. Check him out! :)

About 11 a.m. my hair and makeup was FINALLY done, and we were about to break for lunch. I snapped a few quick shots of myself while I had the chance. I think this is the ugliest dress in all of America, but maybe at least I'll stand out. Ha!


I was called out after lunch and was taken to the state capitol for my scene. I played a law librarian in the scene where Skeeter steals the Jim Crow laws from the library. In my scene, I was carrying a stack of law books from the Speaker of the House's office to the House of Representatives chamber. I was supposed to cross behind Skeeter's path as she was walking out.

It was fun! We were both very glad we did it, even though it did make for a LONG day from 4:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. We met some really interesting people, and it was really cool to see how a movie is made. Every single scene takes SO long to film, even just the little ones that you don't think about. I'll always pay attention to the people in the background, too, now that I know what it's like.

It definitely is not glamorous in any way, but it was something that we can now say we did, and who knows - we might even make it in the movie! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

my movie stars in the making!!! fanamantastic, love y'all, B and Kevin

Wilson said...

HA! HA! Love it! Looks like fun!