Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween and Homecoming

What a busy weekend! Friday we decided at the last minute that we would dress up and go out for Halloween after all. We had planned earlier in the week to just stay home and watch a marathon of Derek's favorite slasher movies, but the weather was so nice we couldn't pass up a night out. And it's not very often that Halloween actually falls on a Friday, so it was a great way to end the work week.

Derek borrowed a few costumes from a co-worker for both of us, but he ended up choosing Popeye, a costume he bought last year but never wore. I was a go-go girl, which came with a long black wig that I had so much fun with! It kind of makes me want to grow my hair long and dye it black. Well, not really, but it was definitely fun for a night. We headed downtown with Ben and Tina for the first annual Blocktober party on Congress Street. It was set up where Jacktoberfest was in front of the capitol and beside the governor's mansion, and it was totally free and BYOB. They had a band and some pretty cute decorations, including orange Christmas lights in the trees and hay bales for everyone to sit on. We saw some pretty funny costumes, including a pregnant cheerleader, Posh and David Beckham (this girl acted just like her, too), the Karate Kid and the Dukes of Hazzard. After we left downtown, we stopped at a friend's house in Fondren for another party and then capped the night off with a visit to Krystal for dinner at midnight. Here's a pic of us with Ben and Tina. He was a hockey player, and she was Hannah Montana.

Yesterday we packed up and went to Hattiesburg for USM's homecoming. My friend Christy set up a tent, and we had a pretty good array of food, including some frosted Jack-o-lantern cookies from Anderson's Bakery in Pascagoula. Yummm... my favorite. We saw a lot of old friends and enjoyed the beautiful weather in our black and gold.


I love going to homecoming, and we had a blast just like I knew we would. I will say the girls in school there now looked more like they were going to tailgate in the Grove in Oxford than the District in Hattiesburg. I have never seen so many stilettos and semi-formals at Southern before. I guess the times they are a changing, that's for sure. Here's a pic of us oldies but goodies. :)


We hit the road about 9 this morning to come home, and I fought the crowds at the grocery store this afternoon. NOT fun, but at least now we actually have some food in this house. I'm getting ready to cook a meatloaf with some cheesy green beans, homemade smashed potatoes and jalapeno cornbread. I think some good home cooking is just what we need to wrap up this wonderful weekend. It's just a shame that Monday's only one good night's sleep away. At least we gained an hour today. I don't think I could have managed losing an hour on a crazy weekend like this. :)

2 comments:

Lauren Danos Manuel said...

oh, i am so jealous seeing all the girls in the picture! Wow, i really miss you guys. glad you guys had a blast. danos!

Wilson said...

Cute costumes!