Friday night we had a date night with dinner at Biaggi's and then to the movies to go see "Marley and Me." I cried like a baby. I have to tell you, I was really worried about the movie because the book was so great on its own that I didn't think making a movie would do it justice. But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.The story of Marley the dog is especially dear to my heart because there was many an occasion that Bentley could have given him a run for his money on the bad dog meter. Derek and I had joint custody of Bent in the beginning, and he would spend one night at my house and the next night with Derek at his parents' house. We did this so that the other could actually get some rest because there was no sleep to be had during puppy duty. And it was wonderful to wake up to the stench of puppy poo in his crate while we were trying to housebreak him. I swear it would smell up the whole house. That's just some nasty mess.
He ate three cell phones, two remote controls, our floor boards, some shoes and no telling how many pairs of panties. I only know this last part because one time we were walking him and he stopped to potty and out came an entire pair. Not chewed up. Swallowed whole.
Enough with the dirty talk... he also chewed through two leashes and just about flunked out of obedience school. It was when he finally jumped through the screen door that my mother-in-law found an excerpt from "Marley and Me" and shared it with us. Derek and I both read the book in a matter of days, and it soon became a favorite in the Grey family. :)
Bentley has grown into a wonderful dog who loves us more than anything. I know he'll be incredible with kids one day, and we cherish every day spent with this slobbery giant of a Golden Retriever. Our lives definitely wouldn't be the same without him, and looking back, the hard times were well worth it and they sure make for great stories.
5 comments:
Even though we probably won't get another dog any time soon because of a small house, too much dog hair and children in the near future. We want our next dog to be a golden retriever just like Bentley. We already have a name picked out and everything. Mabel.
Aw, I love it! Yeah, Bentley's been a handful - we didn't know he was apparently an extra large breed till he grew up, but he's wonderful. :)
Sweet Bentley! His eating panties is hilarious! What is it with dogs and panties? Two days before Katie's wedding, I had to go retrieve my new Spanx from the neighbor's yard after their dog ate the package that the Fed Ex guy left on my front porch. My new Spanx were covered in dog drool and I'm sure the neighbors were laughing when they saw me traipsing across their yard to get my panties.
I love that dog. Do you think they'll ever create a "Clemmie and Me" movie for cat lovers?
Hi! I am a friend of Sara's and Katie's (stumbled onto your blog while blog surfing) anyway - your dog is BEAUTIFUL! we have a golden named Koda who is also very active/hyper...so i completely understand! just wanted to comment on how pretty he is.
Post a Comment