Thursday, April 8, 2010

Random Thought Thursday

Derek just burned me a new CD for my girls' weekend road trip (yes, we still burn CDs - we're a few steps behind, sorry) and it got me thinking. I thought I would do a post about my favorite song lyrics. Pretty random, I know, but hopefully a little insightful. Some are sentimental, some are somewhat deep, and some are just plain brilliantly written. Here are some of my favorites...

JESUS, ETC. - Wilco
Our love is all of God's money.
This is one of my favorite quotes of all time. To me, this says that if we don't make it, nobody will. God is playing a winning hand with us, and nothing's going to beat it.

BAREFOOT CHILDREN IN THE RAIN – Jimmy Buffett
Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been.
This is my mantra. In the end, who cares about getting old as long as you've made it all worthwhile.

BEST OF WHAT’S AROUND – Dave Matthews Band
And if you hold on tight to what you think is your thing you may find you're missing all the rest.
This lyric is especially close to my heart because Derek was not a happy camper about leaving Ole Miss to go to to Southern, but his grades needed a break from Oxford. Little did he know he would meet his future wife once he got to Hattiesburg. You have to be open to changes in life or you'll miss out on life in general.

TWO STEP – Dave Matthews Band
Celebrate we will 'cause life is short but sweet for certain.
No explanation needed for this. It goes hand-in-hand with the Jimmy Buffett lyric. Make the most of every day. Don't let life pass you by.

WADING IN THE VELVET SEA - Phish
You won't find moments in a box, and someone else will set your clocks. I took a moment from my day, wrapped it up in things you say and mailed it off to you.
This to me says that you can't always get what you want when you want it. More specifically, I think this is about a relationship that wasn't meant to be, regardless how much the two people wanted it.

INTO THE MYSTIC – Van Morrison
And I want to rock your gypsy soul just like way back in the days of old. And magnificently we will flow into the mystic.
This song as a whole is very special to me because it was our first dance at our wedding. I love the idea of finding your true soul mate. I think a soul mate is designated for you at the beginning of time, way before you're even born. Cheesy, I know, but I was swept away.

BE MINE – David Gray
Everytime I'm talking with you it's always over too soon. Everyday feels so incomplete til you walk into the room. Say the word now girl - I'll jump that moon.
What it feels like to be totally, completely and utterly in L.O.V.E., especially in those early dating days.

ALL THESE THINGS THAT I’VE DONE – The Killers
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.
Nothing deep here. It's just catchy and I love it. I guess I should just say God bless America - home of the free and home of the blues.

2 comments:

heatherstockett said...

I love this post, Elizabeth! I'm going to "steal" your idea-but I'll credit you;)
BTW...we still burn cds.

Stephanie Bice said...

Liz- Into the Mystic is one of my all time favs too! I listen to it when I am in a mellow mood and it brings back great memories.