Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Road Trip?

So, I've been in a nostalgic mood here lately, and I've been thinking about a few places that I wish I had gone as a kid. Granted, most of these places weren't even around when I was a kid, but if they had been, I'm sure the Bice family have been burning up the roads to make this only child happy. Isn't that right, mom?

First, Babyland General Hospital in Cleveland, Georgia, birth place of the Cabbage Patch Kids... I had LOTS of Cabbage Patch Kid dolls when I was a little girl, and I was always told I looked just like them with my chubby cheeks. The ones I remember were Heather (a redheaded, yarn-hair doll with pigtails) Walter (a little yarn-haired boy with dimples) and Emily (one of the cornsilk-haired dolls who wore glasses. She was my twin.) My grandmother's neighbor made clothes for my Cabbage Patch dolls. I took them everywhere I went. I still have them at my parents' house.

Second, the American Girl Store... I think I caught the very beginning of this craze at the tail end of my childhood. These dolls were SO cool. They each came from a specific time period and everything about them (clothes, furniture, story, etc.) was so incredibly detailed. I had the only four that were out at the time - Molly (World War II-era), Samantha (Victorian-era), Felicity (Colonial-era), and Kirsten (prairie-era). Samantha and Kirsten have since been discontinued. I had the girls' beds, pajamas, dress-up clothes and school accessories, as well as the matching pajamas for me. Spoiled much? They're all carefully preserved with their furniture and accessories at my parents' house, too.

And third, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter... This part of Universal Studios in Orlando doesn't actually open until this summer, but I can't wait to go!!! I'm a Harry Potter fan and not ashamed to admit it, and this would be worth an Orlando trip on its own to me. Of course, while I'm there, I'd want to do Disney and MGM, too. I love theme parks though - the good ones, I mean, not Six Flags. Anybody up for a road trip?

2 comments:

heatherstockett said...

I love everything that you mentioned! I want to go to the HP thing SO BAD!!!

Josh and Meredith Jordan said...

I have been to Babyland General Hospital. Seriously. It was really cool, and it WILL be somewhere I take my kids. You can come with if you'd like! :)