Monday, June 7, 2010

Home Sweet Home

We spent a weekend at home for the first time in five weeks, and it was paradise. Friday night we took a big trip to Sam’s Club (we recently joined through my work) and picked up a few things, ate dinner at Jason’s Deli and then curled up on the couch to watch Avatar. I know, I know… It really doesn’t get much more exciting that that on a Friday night. Don’t be jealous.

A couple of thoughts about Friday night:

  1. Some stuff you can get for GREAT deals at Sam’s (i.e., 150-load Gain laundry detergent for $9), but the trick is having a place to store it all. We came home with a larger-than-life two-pack of body wash and a whopping four-pack of toothpaste, but really and truly, most of that stuff would not be practical for our little pantry. It will be great for laundry detergent, paper towels, toilet paper, etc., and buying food in bulk for lake weekends, though.
  2. I really liked Avatar. We both did. While the storyline is nothing new, it’s still a great message and the special effects were pretty amazing. I just kept thinking how I wish we would have seen it at the movie theater in 3D. Oh, well… I give it four out of five stars.

Saturday Derek took a short trip to Clinton to pick up a spare dryer from our friend Paul. Our dryer died last week, and he just so happened to have an extra one in his garage that he so kindly donated to us. It’s amazing how much laundry can build up in only three days without a dryer! Neighbor Ben rode with Derek for extra strength in moving the dryer, so I got to babysit sweet Baby Brady for a couple of hours while they were gone.

Once the rain and clouds moved through Saturday afternoon, we headed to our friends Jessica and Blake’s apartment to swim. It was like a college party - lots of people our age just hanging out drinking beer. Not a bad way to spend a hot Saturday afternoon.

We decided to check out a new Jackson restaurant, Burgers & Blues, for dinner Saturday night. The food was good, service not so much, but it was worth checking out. After dinner, Ben and Tina came over for some drinks on the deck.

Phew… are you worn out just reading this? I am. That’s probably why we slept past 11 Sunday morning. Once we got up and moving Derek did yardwork and I cleaned the house. It was a productive way to end the weekend.

We enjoyed being at home so much that I think we’ll do it again this weekend. I love lake weekends and vacations, etc., but sometimes nothing beats some quality time at home!

No comments: