Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Bless His Heart


Our boy Bentley used to never be afraid of storms. They never fazed him until the tornado we had in early April. Derek and I were both at work when it happened, and when I got home to see what damage there was (thankfully none to our house), I found every bedroom door open and bed skirts hiked up around all of the beds. Apparently the storm scared him so badly that he tried to fit his big ole body under every one of the beds with no luck. He was traumatized, I'm sure, especially with the fact that our neighbor was home and hid out in the bathtub with her dog while the tornado touched ground. She said it sounded like a jackhammer. And with the wind bending the trees almost to the ground, I'm sure he saw quite a sight out our big window facing the front yard. I'm so glad I wasn't home because storms scare me pretty bad anyways now that we live in the midst of a hundred old pine trees.

Anyways, last night we had quite the lightning show at our house. It was a big tease with lightning that lit up the sky and some threatening thunder, but only about 10 minutes of rain. Poor Bent never strayed far from our feet during the whole thing. We were both home and he still opened every bedroom door in the house and wandered around for a place he felt safe.

He's not to the point of needing doggy downers during storms like Marley (if you've never read "Marley and Me" by John Grogan, it's a must for all dog lovers), but he definitely needs reassurance that everything's going to be alright.

Luckily for us last night, we had just bathed him before the "storm" came, so at least we had a clean, brushed dog under our feet all night rather than a dirty, stinky one. :)

1 comment:

The Laceys said...

Your dog is adorable! You have been tagged!