Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Pool time pageant party


So, this weekend we spent Saturday afternoon lounging in a 2-foot-deep baby pool in Katherine's backyard. It might not sound like much, but it's plenty of water to keep you cool on a hot afternoon. Too bad it really wasn't that hot, though. In fact, after it rained for about an hour, it was actually not hot at all. The water was almost chilly after that. It still felt good, though. The whole plan was to have a pool party/pageant party to watch Miss Mississippi, but what started with a crowd of about eight of us had dwindled down to only four by pageant time. Of course, I LOVE watching pageants, so the fewer people to distract me, the better. :)


Being a past pageant "professional" myself, (NOT in competing, but in covering it for the newspaper - Ha!) I really was not that impressed this year. Even my Granny, who ALWAYS picks the winner, wasn't impressed. I really remember being a little girl and watching the pageant with her and being sooooo enamoured of those pretty young women. They seemed so grown-up. Now they seem like such babies to me! I remember being a little sad when I turned 25, the magic age at which you can no longer compete in the pageant. It's not that I ever, ever, ever had intentions of actually competing, but I guarantee you many a girl in Mississippi had a fleeting dream of wearing that sparkling crown on top of her head at one point or another. Just imagine how incredible it would feel when they called out your name and the crowd went wild. Wow... Too bad for me the closest I ever got to the crown was writing about everything pageant-related in Vicksburg for a few years. But, to be honest, I loved every minute of it. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's no baby pool!