
We celebrated Valentine's Day this year with the
Krewe of Elks Carnival Ball in Hattiesburg. We go every year with my grandparents, and each year seems to be more fun than the last. First, I need to explain that this is no dinky Mardi Gras ball at the Elks Lodge. This group of Elk (or is it Elks?) has a swanky lodge on more than 1,000 acres complete with a lake (appropriately named Elks Lake.) They built the lodge in the 1960s I think, and while it may be just a little outdated now, it was definitely top of the line back in the day. I grew up going swimming and camping out there with my parents and grandparents. It was THE place to go. :)
Anyways, back to the Carnival Ball... This was the 43rd annual royal presentation. They have a king and queen and court just like any other Mardi Gras Krewe. My grandfather, Pap, was King Elk VIII back in 1973, my parents were in the Court back in 1980 when they were pregnant with me, and I was a page to Queen Elk XX and XXI when I was a little girl. So, needless to say, it's definitely a family tradition. :)
Here's Pap with his queen, Rosie, during the presentation of the former kings and queens.

Here is a picture of Derek and me with Granny and Pap.

And here's my favorite shot of the night... Derek getting some lovin from the ladies... Notice the crazed look in Rosie's eyes. I think she was ready to fight me for him last night. :)

We had so much fun, and it's always a great way to kick off the Mardi Gras season. I think we're ready for New Orleans now! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment